Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Westboro Baptist Church Gets Money from Father of Dead Soldier


I'm going to keep this short because the Westboro Baptist Church(WBC) enrages me, and I don't want to get too worked up.
The WBC can be seen picketing soldier's funerals, holding signs that say things such as "God Hates Fags", "Thank God for Dead Soldiers", and things of that nature.
Among the teachings of the church, which was founded in 1955 by pastor Fred Phelps, is the belief that God is punishing the United States for "the sin of homosexuality" through events such as soldiers' deaths.

I personally cannot comprehend how that thought enters one's mind in the first place.
In a particular case, the WBC was picketing outside of the funeral Matthew Snyder. Snyder's father sued the organization.
Snyder's family sued the church and went to trial in 2007 alleging privacy invasion, intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy.


This was combated by the church. They said their rights to free speech were being violated. At first the courts sided on Snyder's side, but a year later they've sided with the WBC. I would be able to accept charges being dropped, but the courts decided to make Snyder pay.
The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday ordered that Snyder pay more than $16,000 in costs requested by Westboro for copies of motions, briefs and appendices, according to court documents.

I am extremely upset by this. People are standing outside of a funeral with signs acknowledging that the deceased deserved to die. And now the family is paying the group of people.
I can honestly say that some of the things this country does makes me want to pick up and leave. The injustices often infuriate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment