Monday, September 28, 2009

How can such a heinous governmental system exist?

In Afghanistan, conditions for residents there are utterly terrible. In America, many of our greatest concerns on a day to day basis consist of things like, "Will I be able to buy a hybrid car", or "Do I have enough credits to graduate high school?". But for Afghans, the concerns consist of things like "Will I be shot today?".
Malalai Joya is an ex-parliament member who was, to say the least, kicked out after expressing strong negative opinions of the Afghanistan government. She faces the possibility of assassination daily and has hired a small troop of soldier to follow her. John Simpson from BBC news explains how (and I am going to bold this for emphasis..)Malalai Joya is campaigning against a new law which permits men to rape, beat, and starve their wives if they are denied sex.

To me, that is a huge wake-up call. I am often upset that Gay men and women aren't allowed to be married, which is also a somewhat recently established law. You can't take away peoples rights, I say. But this new Afghanistan law is outright disgusting. How can places like this exist? How can a government be so corrupt? And an even bigger question, will the rest of the world be able to stop such a horrifying government? Frankly, I don't know. NATO chief Fogh Rasmussen seems to suggest that the war may be lost without more troops. However, a rising death toll can't be helping many countries to want to send their soldiers into Afghanistan.
Can this corrupt government be taken down?

No comments:

Post a Comment